The Mythologist returned to his best with an impressive Quantock Staghounds Mixed Open success on Sunday. The seven-year-old led after a circuit and cruised home under Robbie Henderson, who never let an inch of rein throughout the three mile contest. The Mythologist has now won four of his five UK point-to-points, suffering his only reverse when pulled up at Larkhill in January. "He bled a little and he never settled or jumped that day, but a first-time hood has helped," said former trainer Guy Henderson, joint-owner with his wife, Sophie. "[Trainer] Jack [Barber] feels he will have the speed to cope with quicker ground but, as always, we'll take it one race at a time."
Will Biddick followed Saturday's East Devon treble with a double to take his tally to 21, 12 clear of Darren Edwards in the standings. Will led off aboard Little Cornham, winner of the Hunt race for the fourth consecutive season. "He's done it with four different riders as well and I'm pleased with the feat, but more importantly we've been part of a competitive hunt race contested by four good horses," said Andy Pollard, who shares Little Cornham with Helen Stoneman and Janet Down.
Will doubled up aboard the impressive Sarah Gould-trained debutant Petite Power in the 3m Maiden. "Charles [Horton] gave me a budget to buy three horses in August and this is the first to run," revealed Sarah. "He got into a good rhythm but could have gone a lot faster," added Will, clearly impressed by the six-year-old. "I get the credit for six minutes work, but good for Sarah as this is the culmination of six months hard work educating and training the horse."
Trainer Robert Chanin described Chris Tory's Bishop's Court as "our best maidens for a long time" after the five-year-old's comfortable win in the first 2m-4f maiden. "And the good news is that I've got two half-brothers at home," added Chris. A career under National Hunt rules with Limpley Stoke trainer Neil Mulholland could be on the cards.
Lansdowne Road made the perfect start in the second 2m-4f Maiden, although Josh Newman's mount was still in third place when Oldedietherebel ran out at the last, carrying out closest pursuer Moontripper. "He was a show hunter eight months ago; his owner, Amanda Benson, wanted to aim at [Saturday's] Duke of Beaufort hunt race, although that will come too soon now," confided Woolminstone trainer Chloe Newman. "He's still very green, but Josh feels he might have won despite the melee."
Cullompton farrier Jack Veysey, 26, opened his account at the second attempt aboard his Ascot purchase The Dapper Fox in the Restricted. "Jack's done hunting and team chasing, but it's his first horse and first season and he's almost in a state of shock," smiled mentor Martin Sweetland, for whom Jack worked for three years.
Harpsy Cord went into many notebooks with an all-the-way success in the veterans event. "We got him from Henry de Bromhead in the summer and learned a lot when he was runner-up at Chaddesley Corbett at Christmas," said jockey John Mathias. "He's got a high cruising speed and while his next run will be in a point-to-point, don't be surprised to see him contesting a Hunter Chase."
Hunt Members (4 ran)
1. Little Cornham (IRE) (W Biddick, 10-11F); finished alone. 7min 11s. (Keith Cumings)
Open Maiden (Div 1) 456&7yo, 2m4f100y (13 ran)
1. Bishops Court (I Chanin, 5-1); 2. Road to Success (IRE) (Ben Clarke, 5-2F); 3. About Time Thomas (IRE) (S Houlihan, 10-1). 5min 52s. 8l, 8l. (Robert Chanin)
Open Maiden (Div 2) 456&7yo, 2m4f100y (13 ran)
1. Lansdowne Road (IRE) (J Newman, 8-1); 2. Darkgesture (IRE) (W Biddick, 4-1JF); 3. Looking Glass (L Muspratt, 10-1). 6min 07s. 7l, 3l. (Chloe Newman)
Mixed Open (8 ran)
1. The Mythologist (IRE) (R Henderson, 6-4F); 2. Third Chance (W Biddick, 3-1); 3. The Donserelli (Miss L Scott, 12-1). 7min 02s. 8l, dist. (Jack Barber)
Restricted (10 ran)
1. The Dapper Fox (J Veysey, 25-1); 2. Genermouse (J Newman, 8-1); 3. Driftwood Haze (B Moorcroft, 3-1). 7min 12s. 2l, ½l. (Jack Veysey)
PPORA Club Members 9yo+ (10 ran)
1. Harpsy Cord (IRE) (J Mathias, 4-6F); 2. Talab (N Lawton, 9-4); 3. Blinding Lights (IRE) (M Hampton, 5-1). 7min 15s. 4l, 8l. (Sam Butler)
Open Maiden (9 ran)
1. Petite Power (IRE) (W Biddick, 9-4); 2. Annwyl (R Henderson, 33-1); 3. Kelsey (IRE) (S Drinkwater, 4-6F). 7min 25s. 15l, 4l. (Sarah Gould)