Jack Barber, who's stable is within sight of the course, reached the 37-winner mark with a Littlewindsor double on Sunday. He led off with Never Says Never, who returned from a 17-month absence to provide a birthday present winner for owner Richard Hall. The seven-year-old, jumping boldly for Will Biddick, made all and readily stretched clear of his 3-mile Maiden race rivals. "He pulled a tendon when he last ran over hurdles [from Bob Buckler's yard] and has basically needed time," reported Richard.
Jack doubled up when The Mythologist made all in the Men's Open under Robbie Henderson, son of owners Guy and Sophie Henderson. The Mythologist had pulled up when held up at Buckfastleigh in March, but appeared to enjoy his front running task. The seven-year-old is now unbeaten in his five completed outings in UK point-to-points.
Two across the card doubles were completed on the card. Trainer Joe Tickle, who had saddled Sedgemoor Top Bid to win at Flete Park the previous day, was back in the winner's enclosure after commentator's nightmare Tempestatefloresco had taken the 2m-4f Maiden. Partnered by Joe's sister, Leanda, Tempestatefloresco repelled a series of challengers after being left in the lead at the start of the final circuit. Harry Cobden took the Dodson & Horrell PPORA Novice Riders' race less than two hours after winning Wincanton's 3.10pm chase aboard the Paul Nicholls-trained Ulck Du Lin. Ridden with trademark confidence by Harry, his mount, Cock Of The Rock, was in no danger after sauntering past his four rivals in the space of 100 yards at the start of the final climb.
Academy General (Jo Buck) collared odds-on John Daniell (Amanda Bush) at the last in the Ladies' Open. Bought privately by Duncan Odgers and Pat Shaw out of David Bridgwater's yard in October, Academy General could be aimed at Stratford's AGA Ladies Championship in May.
2013 winner Champagne Rosie retained the Hunt race trophy [the race was abandoned in 2014 owing to fog] although supporters who had taken the 1/10 odds must have been sweating when sole rival Regular Guy led approaching the last.
Regular Guy's jockey Darren Andrews gained compensation when the Atkinson family's Walker Ridge finished strongly to take the Restricted.
The two pony races were won by Angelic, ridden by Olive Nicholls (138cm race) and She's A Lady, the mount of Jamie Perrett in the 148cm race.
Open Maiden 456&7yo, 2m4f (10 ran)
1. Tempestatefloresco (Miss L Tickle, 5-1); 2. Kernel Victor (R Henderson, evensF); 3. Tell Tony (IRE) (D Noonan, 6-1). 5min 33s. 2l, 3l. (Joe Tickle)
Hunt Members (2 ran)
1. Champagne Rosie (M Legg, 1-10F); 2. Regular Guy (D Andrews, 5-1). 6min 35s. 2l. (Angela Davis)
Open Maiden (6 ran)
1. Never Says Never (W Biddick, 4-7F); 2. Wotzizname (IRE) (D Noonan, 5-1); 3. Jump To The Beat (Miss V Wade, 4-1). 6min 30s. 12l, 20l. (Jack Barber)
Mens Open (3 ran)
1. The Mythologist (IRE) (R Henderson, 1-4F); 2. Glenwood Present (J Newman, 5-2); 3. Oscargo (IRE) (Robert Hawker, 6-1). 6min 33s. 4l, dist. (Jack Barber)
Ladies Open (7 ran)
1. Academy General (IRE) (Miss J Buck, 3-1); 2. John Daniell (Miss A Bush, 4-6F); 3. Kawana Cove (Miss Heidi Lewis, 10-1). 6min 24s. ½l, 12l. (Pat Shaw)
Dodson & Horrell PPORA Club Members (Nov Rdrs) (5 ran)
1. Cock Of The Rock (IRE) (H Cobden, 2-7F); 2. Ifonlyalfie (C Davies, 20-1); 3. Barneys Mate (C Barber, 3-1). 6min 33s. 5l, 3l. (Rachael Green)
Restricted (9 ran)
1. Walker Ridge (IRE) (D Andrews, 8-1); 2. Just Seven (IRE) (Miss V Wade,7-2); 3. Wyndcrest (IRE) (G Hiscock, 14-1). 6min 33s. 3l, nk. (George Hiscock)